September 23rd, 2014
Several readers have asked me what I think about Matterport because they just raised $16M in venture capital funding and there have been several articles in the real estate press this last week. Also, Redfin is using Matterport to create 3D walkthroughs. In Seattle apparently you get a free Matterport tour if you list with Redfin.
- The effects shown on the Matterport site are indeed flashy.
- Remember that this device was launched about 2 years ago. Here is my post about it then. It hasn’t taken off probably because of the cost.
- Here is the only 3D Matterport tour I can find. There’s a link to it in the Redfin article.
- I can view this on my laptop and desktop machine, but it crashes on my iPad with Chrome or Safari. Apparently is not intended to run on the iPhone (Redfin site does not even try to display it).
- The walk through feature looks quite good on my desktop/laptop… very much like 360 images with Google Street View navigation.
- I don’t see the point of the Dollhouse view.
- The floorplan view works but to me is not impressive because of all the unfinished edges. It’s not as easy to get a feel of the layout as well as a plain black and white floorplan.
- To create these tours you need a $4500 scanner and Matterport is the only one that can turn the results into a tour. That tour service cost from $99/mo to $199/mo.
My Personal Conclusions:
- My general feeling is that this it too expensive for what you get. You really only get a 360 walkthrough and a weak floorplan.
- Top end agents are frequently dazzled by this kind of new technology, but I wouldn’t jump on this technology until we see how popular it is. Matterport is probably subsidizing the Redfin usage in some way to promote the product.
- Any real estate tour that doesn’t work WELL on SmartPhones and tablets these days is dead on arrival. Perhaps their iPad and iPhone issue can be quickly fixed. Otherwise, this in it self with kill the product.
What do you think? Is anyone using this yet? What do you charge for Matterport tours?