June 28th, 2015
Peter in New York recently asked:
Would you know of photographers who would share their knowledge how they use Facebook, Pinterest, Flickr, and those sites to promote their business. I would love a “how to & why ?”.
To answer Peter’s question my first reaction is to point at a photographer that is doing a great job of using social media to promote their business. My example is Ethan Tweetie (www.ethantweedie.com). Ethan has explicitly told me that social media is working for him. You can see for yourself by simply Googling “luxury real estate.” Where ever you are Ethan’s name will likely be on the first page towards the top of the search results. It’s clear that Ethan is doing a good job at this his recent Google+ post points out his photos are in the July 2015 Architectural Digest for the second time this year.
So I think it is possible to look at Ethan’s use of the various social media sites and see how he uses it. Here is my summary:
- Website is at the center of social media strategy: First of all Ethan’s website is at the very center of his social media. That is, the reason for using social media is to get traffic to your website. He has a great website with beautiful design that features his portfolios in all the areas that he works. The site also has a blog so he can put articles and stories about what he is doing. His posts on Google+ and FaceBook are concise and link to a full article on the subject on the blog part of his site. This brings traffic that is attracted to his work from the various social media sites to his site where they can see all his work.
- A strong portfolio – Quality Matters: He only puts the strongest images in his portfolio and then the posts those strong images on the social media sites even though the images he posting may be 5 or 6 years old. When I first noticed it took me a while to understand what he was doing. A strong image is a strong image no matter when you shot it. The point here is, that people are attracted to great images just like butterflies to bright flowers!
- A presence on all the major social sites: You can go to all Ethan’s social media sites from the buttons at the bottom of the front page of his site. FaceBook, Google+, Twitter, Instagram, Pintrest, Houzz, Vimeo, Linkedin.
- Social posts for businesses are relatively business oriented: You don’t need to have massive numbers of posts on a business social media account. Just create a continued presence and respond to others. Don’t post a photo every day. Only post high quality photos from your portfolio.
- Flickr is not a social media site in the same sense as Twitter and FaceBook: Flickr is more of a photo sharing site that doesn’t have mechanisms to drive traffic to your site like Twitter or FaceBook do.
So the strategy of social media is to bring traffic to your site where potential clients can see the full power and breadth of your work.
Ethan is a PFRE coach and if you are interested in getting into more details in how Ethan uses social media he will be happy to coach anyone on how to use social media to build your photography business. You can contact him via the PFRE coaching page.