Adobe Photoshop CC’s gradient panel has built-in presets for gradients, but it is true that there are not many to choose from. You may want to load additional gradients for sufficient choices, especially if you use them on your real estate photos frequently. To do so, you will need to learn how to install gradients in Photoshop first.
How to Install Gradients in Photoshop With Ease
There are few default gradients in the gradient tool of Photoshop, which you can try to use as a beginner. Also, you can add new gradients in varying patterns and hues to increase your design capabilities.
The default gradients that we are talking about are simply not enough if you are looking for diverse effects on your creations. They are good to practice to understand how gradients work, but once you work with them frequently, you will soon feel that you are running out of options.
There are amazing free gradients available for download, which you can install in Photoshop. But here is the catch. Like several other functionalities in Photoshop, installing gradients is not a very intuitive process. However, it is very easy to understand and quick as well.
Download Free Gradients
Gradients in awe-inspiring hues fit for real estate images can easily be found and downloaded for use in Photoshop. They come as a set and are downloaded as a Zip file or GRD format. If your Gradients are in a Zip file, you need to do an extra step before adding them into Photoshop.
Extract the Zip File and Copy Into Gradients Folder
- After the Zip file is downloaded, go to the Downloads folder on your computer.
- Right-click on the Zip file containing Gradients, and click on Extract Files.
- Extract the file to another folder. ( I usually extract them to Desktop for easier access.)
- Once the file is extracted, it will be saved in the destination folder in GRD format.
- Right-click on the file, and copy it.
Locate Gradients Folder on Your Computer
- Go to the destination where you have Adobe Photoshop CC. (Desktop icon, or the Start Window)
- Right-click on the icon and select Open File Location.
- When the Explorer window / Finder window opens, again select the Adobe Photoshop CC folder, right-click on it, and select Open File Location.
- Click on the Presets folder.
- Open the Gradients folder.
- Paste your GRD file containing the new gradients in the folder.
If you downloaded the gradients that were already in the GRD file format, you don’t need to extract them.
After this step, open Adobe Photoshop CC and open any image or blank document.
Installing Gradients in Adobe Photoshop CC Version 2020 and Up
In the 2020 version of Adobe Photoshop CC, a new Gradients panel has been introduced. It has a new set of default gradients which are categorized based on colors and placed into folders beneath the panel.
The Gradient panel is located beside the Colors, Patterns, and Swatches panel. However, if you can’t view it, go to Windows and make sure the checkmark beside the Gradients option is checked.
- Open the Gradients panel.
- Click on the menu icon on the top right corner of the panel.
- Click on Import Gradients.
- Load your GRD format gradients. They will be added to the Gradient panel, ready for use.
Installing Gradients in Adobe Photoshop CC Version 2019 and Earlier
If you are using a version of Photoshop earlier than 2020, the method of adding your downloaded gradients is a bit different.
- After downloading and copying your gradients in the Gradient folder on your computer, open Adobe Photoshop CC.
- Go up to the Edit menu.
- Go to Preset and select Preset Manager from the submenu.
- From the Preset type drop down, select Gradients.
- Click on Load and select the gradient file that you have downloaded.
- Click on open.
- Your new gradients will be added beside the default Photoshop gradients.
- You can use these gradients on texts, images, shape fills, and pixel layers.
Using Photoshop Gradients On Real Estate Images
Applying gradients to real estate is an intuitive way to enhance the ambiance of interiors and make exterior views of properties look captivating. With an extensive collection of gradients at hand, you can make your property photos look better in several ways. You can add the gradient to a selection or the entire layer of your images.
Some practical ideas for the use of gradient on real estate images are:
- Use warm color gradients for an effect of a cozy winter ambiance.
- Use cool color gradients to show a well-ventilated, cool home.
- Use gradients having a mix of brown and orange tints to enhance the countryside cottage look.
- Use a white and light grey gradient to make dull interiors look bright.
- Use rich color gradients for Retro interior looks.
- Use Transparent orange and yellow gradients to add a sense of warmth and soft sunlight in interior photos that are captured during the day.
- Use gradients with grey and blue hues for rainy season effects on exterior property photos.
Apply Gradients to Images
- Select the Gradient Tool from the toolbar on the left.
- On the top, you will see the options bar for the gradient tool.
- Click on the drop-down and select the desired gradient from your collection.
- Double click on the Gradient bar to open the Gradient Editor.
- From here you can customize the gradient and set the opacity and transparency of the colors, and change any color if you want.
- Click on ok.
- You can also change any settings from the options bar, including the Blending mode, Opacity, Transparency, and Dither option.
- You can click on the Reverse checkbox to change the order of colors in the gradient.
- Select the type of gradient from the icons which are:
- Linear Gradient
- Radial Gradient
- Angular Gradient
- Reflected Gradient
- Diamond Gradient
- After you have chosen the settings for your gradient, apply it to your layer.
- Click and hold the cursor in a position where you want to start the gradient effect, and drag it to the ending point. The gradient will be applied across the angle of that line on the layer.
- You can double the gradient effect by drawing a line once again on a similar or different position.
The process of downloading, installing, and using gradients in Photoshop is explained in-depth to help you completely understand this functionality. Once you start working with gradients, you will keep using them on images for beautiful effects. We hope that learning this feature will elevate your design capabilities and help you create appealing visuals.