If you are in the business of real estate photography it's instructive to look at Google Trends result for the search English search term "real estate photography". What Google Trends shows is an analysis of how much and where people are searching for a given search term.
Here are some of the things it shows as of June 3, 2013:
- The only time in the US interest has been as high as it is right now was in May of 2011.
- Between 2004 and 2013 there has been a significant increase in interest in real estate photography happening everywhere.
- Australia has more interest in real estate photography than any other English speaking country.
- There is more interest in real estate photography in Seattle than in any other city in the US.
- The interest line illustrates the seasonal demand nature of demand for real estate photography. This results from the fact that hardly anyone wants their home on the market from Thanksgiving through Christmas.
- Interest (Demand) in real estate photography did not significantly decline during the 2008 & 2009 real estate rescission in the US.
- The following states are ranked highest in interest in real estate photography: Washington -100, Arizona -96, Colorado -95, Alabama - 93, North Carolina - 92, South Carolina - 88, Tennessee - 83, Oregon - 82, Missouri - 80, Louisiana - 80, Texas - 79, California - 75, Florida - 71, Massachusetts - 70, Connecticut - 65, Georgia - 61, New York - 60, Pennsylvania - 59, Minnesota - 59.
So what value is all this? Well it helps explain the clear variation in demand that we see happening in real estate photography. It explains why it's harder work building a business in some locations than other.