In the past week, there have been three almost identical questions like the following from Nancy:
Can you recommend any courses one can take to learn beginning real estate digital photography? Are there colleges that offer such courses? If so, would you recommend going that route?
In general, I don't recommend learning real estate photography at traditional type schools because usually, these classes aren't being taught by practicing real estate photographers. That's because practicing real estate photographers don't like to create more competition for themselves in their local area. I think you are better off taking a workshop from one of the top real estate photographers that we have listed here on the blog.
Here are the resources I recommend for learning real estate photography:
- Ultimately the best sources of real estate photography training are the workshops you see advertised and discussed here on the PFRE blog. These workshops are taught by some of the best real estate photographers in the industry. But you have to go to where they are being given. They are not coming to your hometown! That is expensive so to get the most benefits do some of the following first:
- Start with the e-books we sell here on the PFRE blog. This is an inexpensive way to get started with the basic knowledge you need.
- Make use of the free YouTube video tutorials that we frequently post here. There is a lot of good basic information in the YouTube videos.
- The next level up is the video series dedicated to real estate photography. In particular, Scott Hargis's video series and Simon Maxwell's video series.
- Another great learning resource is to get one-on-one coaching from the PFRE Coaching Group. Contact them directly to discuss their specialties and how much they charge.
- Participating in the PFRE Flickr group by posting your photos and getting feedback from others is a great learning resource.
- Another similar learning resource is to follow and/or enter the PFRE Photo Contest.
This combination of resources has everything you will need to get started on building a successful real estate photography business. Many of the successful businesses we talk about in our series of posts on real estate photography success stories used these resources to build their businesses.