Keri in Witchita asks:
- What software or system do you use to keep track of paperwork, taxes, invoices, etc.?
- How do you classify your out-of-country editing processing when filing the deduction of that service when there is no W-9 to obtain?
- Can you write off mileage on your taxes if you are charging a fee for your mileage?
First of all, a disclaimer: Don't assume that any of the tax advice here is anything more than opinions from other taxpayers.
Here are my opinions:
- Here is a very recent post where we reviewed accounting software solutions used by real estate photographers.
- My CPA categorizes the money I pay to contractors outside the US as contract labor. I think this makes sense for post-processing work.
- My understanding is that you can deduct your mileage as a business expense but it doesn't make sense to me to deduct mileage that you've been repaid for.
Let's hear others opinions.