The Still Photographer of the Month contest for June will now be located at PFREcontests.com rather than the Flickr group.
This move will allow entrants to post their own entries and remain anonymous. Jurors will then choose a winner from a collection of anonymous entries. People have been asking for this approach for a while.
There are a couple of things I don't like about this Photo Contest WordPress plugin I'm using but I think we can live with them just to have entrants anonymous. This plugin is the only reasonable alternative I can find.
The things I don't like are:
- When entrants upload an image they are encouraged to promote their entry on social media when the file upload is verified. I trust the jurors to not be influenced by any social media posting.
- When an individual photo is displayed, there are 3 semi-transparent blocks displayed on each photo showing likes, photo title, and the number of views; annoying little things I'd like to get rid of.
If we decide to use this plugin going forward, I'll work on fixing these issues. For now, I'd just like to see how this works to run the still contest.
A couple of the jurors have tried this site out and given me feedback and it is now set up and ready to accept entries for the June contest.
To submit an entry to the contest just do the following:
- Click on the Upload Photo link in the menu bar.
- The first time you do this you'll be asked to fill out the data for creating an account and uploading a photo.
- Note that the photo title is required. Just put in anything. I will change it to an entry sequence number.
- Once you've registered, you'll need to log in to upload a photo. Use the link at the top center of the page to log in. Your browser should remember your account and password for you.
I think it is pretty intuitive and easy to use. Let me know if you have any problems.