Jason Jacques asked me today if I had a list of recommended apps. And he didn't mean apps related to shooting photos on SmartPhones, he meant apps related to getting your job as a real estate photographer or Realtor done. It didn't take me long to come up with a short list. Here it is:
- LightTrac: (iPhone/iPad & Android) This is my all time favorite app! It let's you figure out where the sun will be at any given address at any given date and time. To me, this is a real estate photographers must have. Here is a post where I talk about it more. There's another similar app called TPE but I like LightTrac better.
- Zillow: (iPhone/iPad & Android) The zillow app shows you what is For Sale or Rent near your location. There are 100s similar apps. So when I say a Zillow app, I mean a Zillow like app. Zillow only works in the US. As an ex-Realtor this kind of app is an absolute necessity these days when you are out showing clients. I wish I'd had a Zillow like app back when I had to show buyers around. I don't know what the equivalent apps are for CA, AU, UK and EU. I'm sure each country has at least one. Nowadays I can't imagine a buyers agent that doesn't have this kind of app with them on a 4G connected iPad. It's absolutely essential.
- Squareup: Take credit cards for payment anywhere. Real estate photographer can't live without this app!
And here is the list of apps that I've tried and had great hopes for but as of Oct 2012 don't recommend:
- MagicPlan: This app is a great concept (shoot photos to create a floor plan) but I find it has problems that make it unreliable for someone that is creating floor plans professionally. I don't know of any professional floor plan creator who uses it exclusively. Am I wrong?
- Trigger Happy: I was hoping this app would help shoot brackets, but it can't do shutter speeds below 1 sec because it uses the bulb feature of DSLRs. Also Trigger happy bracket shooting code still has bugs that cause it to crash as of fall 2012.
- Trigger Trap: Same issue as Trigger Happy except it doesn't have bugs.
- Shutter Snitch: Shutter Snitch works with the Eye-Fi Pro X2 SD memory card (see more details here) to let you get the images you shoot on your DSLR to the iPad. For me it just runs too slow. It just doesn't work fast enough to be practical for professional work. I'm sure others disagree.
So what do you think I missed? Am I right, are there apps like Zillow for other countries?