Is There a One Stop for Real Estate Photographer Insurance?

February 27th, 2017

Bob in New Mexico asks:

Is anyone aware of a company that will write a “cover it all” policy? I wish I could just get one policy that covered all my equipment (cameras, lenses, and drones included) for damage or theft, etc., and had a liability policy attached; a veritable “one stop shop” for real eEstate photography insurance. I want my equipment covered for theft, etc. But I also want to be covered whether I knock over hot, red wax (via somebody’s previous post) or my drone goes rogue and flies through a front window or (may it never happen) the rogue drone hit a person.

Last October, I did a post on the insurance guy (Chuck Eagleston) that Ethan Tweedie in Hawaii found through ASMP. This is their website. When I talked to Chuck, I’m pretty sure he said that they write a custom policy for all your needs including your drone.

Does anyone else have a one-stop insurance company?

Share this

13 Responses to “Is There a One Stop for Real Estate Photographer Insurance?”

  • American Family Insurance wrote mine, about $300 a year.

  • I doubt that you will find an underwriter who has no aviation insurance experience that will insure your drone for liability. Aviation insurance is a highly specialized field which is why I can’t buy insurance for my Cessna from State Farm.

    If you have an agent who will sell you liability insurance for your drone, you may find yourself underinsured or worse, loaded with so many exclusions that coverage for a claim would likely be denied. If you did, read the policy carefully. For example, the policy may have a whole paragraph that basically says there is no coverage if your aircraft is violating any FAA regulation.

    When you talk to an aviation insurance broker, you’re likely looking at $1000 per year per aircraft. They have no history with small drones and they spread the risk over everything from the Cessna trainer to the Falcon business jet through layers of reinsurance.

    If you do decide to go through an aviation broker, don’t “shop” prices because the brokers all get the same quotes from the underwriters and the first broker of record is the only one they will underwrite.

    There are two companies that specialize in drone insurance that I am aware of. and

  • We use Howard Burkholtz of Allstate out of Utah. He is the insurance agent that most of the PPA and ASMP photographers use. He specializes in photography and puts together a package of coverage that will be specific to your business and he’s very reasonable.

  • Hill & Usher has a great policy for photographers.

  • I went with Hill & Usher. Their bare bones lowest cost policy for photographers is somewhere around $500/year (not including drone coverage because I don’t have one). It was plenty for me though. They do offer everything you’re asking for. (

    I often see TCP being touted as the best in the Flickr group discussions. However, my experience wasn’t great. I contacted them multiple times with questions after starting the application process and the woman flat out ignored me and never responded after her first email which never even addressed my concerns. If I had just done the application in it’s entirety, signed on, and paid them, I’m sure it would have gone fine. But when I couldn’t ask questions of them and expect answers after multiple prompts…well, I took my business elsewhere. If that’s how they run things, how would things be if I had to make a claim? I can only imagine the headache.

    I had the same questions of Hill & Usher. They answered simply and immediately. No brainer for me personally. Good luck.

  • I got everything through PPA.

    I called my insurance agent and explained what PPA offered in photography insurance and she told me to go with PPA. She couldn’t beat the cost and coverage.

    $1,000,000 liability – $260
    $30,000 equipment coverage – $585
    (full replacement value, not depreciated… covers drones, theft, damage, etc)

    Of course you have to be a member of PPA – $323. The memberships comes with a $15,000 equipment coverage policy. Though it’s depreciated value and the deductible is higher.

  • In Australia, I’m in the process of changing over to PPIB ( Can’t vouch for them yet but they cover equipment (including drone – probably only where the drone pilot is certified by CASA), public liability & professional indemnity, and studio insurance. They’re endorsed by the AIPP and ACMP (and offer discounts to members of each).

  • Many reputable and established insurance companies write policies covering everything you need as a photographer. Liability, errors and omissions, cameras, drones, etc.

    Moreover, this type of “one stop shopping” is a standard industry wide. They can easily write the policies you need or add riders.

    Shop around because the policies and pricing often vary wildly.

  • Another issue to consider is your state insurance regulator- all insurance companies writing insurance must be licensed by your state in order to do business there. Why is this a potential problem – portability. Some companies restrict coverage to their locality, in other words they will cover you while you are in your home state but may not if you are working in another state. As regards insurance policies (and I think we can all agree on this) you can never know enough about your policy! A “do-it-all” policy may be fine in the beginning but as your business grows there may be a need for more personal (your own) coverage and as such, you may want to consider an umbrella policy. Talk to your insurance agent first about what they recommend and then talk to others in your field for additional suggestions before you buy any policy!

  • Small business liability and equipment insurance is very straight forward and there will be many insurance companies to choose from. Hill and Usher is good, although I’ve never made a claim with them. Drone insurance might vary considerably in coverage and pricing until there is history with legal flights. Illegal flights will never be covered and insurance companies will always be checking all of the details about a claim trying to find a way out. Errors and Omissions insurance can be very expensive so make sure you really need it before getting a policy. If you are shooting RE, you probably won’t need it.

  • Hello all. I just found this site and they have very basic liability packages all the way up to full coverage packages. Basic liability in my area is around $15.00. Go check it out.

  • I should clarify -That is $15.00 per month Liability only $181.00 per year. That is no equipment replacement, just basic liability. You have the option to add replacement cost and errors and omissions.

Comments RSS

Leave a Reply