March 14th, 2017
The drone stories and questions have been a hot topic lately and every story or question on the site has drawn me like a fly to light. Before I had my drone I was dismayed at the lack of response I would receive when I brought up drones. Now that I own a drone there seems to be a steady but growing small demand for drone flights. I believe that at full maturity it has financial value. More than the drone revenue, it seems to be opening doors for agents who now take notice of my services and comment, “You provide done photos?”. It will be hard to calculate the totals but it does seem like the conversation and the drone are going to grow my regular photo business.
Yes, your comments are what many others are seeing. There is a recent article at cbsnews.com entitled “9 Ways Drones Are Changing Real Estate.” Summarizing the article, the 9 ways they talk about are:
- Budget-friendly aerial photography
- Buzz for listing agents
- Better views of bigger homes
- Look at the land (large properties)
- A more personal view of the property
- Tour of the town (showing the local neighborhood)
- Remote viewings (future possibilities)
- Increasing privacy concerns
- Increasing liability concerns
I think you are experiencing a lot of #2. Agents are drawn to the latest marketing techniques and while drone photos are not important for all properties, for larger homes (like this one), it can have a huge impact.