February 22nd, 2017
Peter in Calgary asks:
I’ve been doing real estate photography for the last few years. I’ve been asked numerous times what other services I offer other than photography. I do want to offer measurements and floor plans but I am not sure where to start. Any suggestions on how I can go about learning to offer other services than still photography?
Yes, there are many other services besides still photos that real estate listing agents typically want and need. It can be a big advantage for agents to only have to deal with one service provider to obtain many or all of their listing marketing services. And there is an economic benefit to the service provider from only needing to make one trip to the property yet providing many services.
Here are some typical add-on products that real estate photographers provide:
- Floorplans: Measure and construct floorplan diagrams for both online and offline marketing.
- Flyers, brochures, and “just listed” postcards: These kinds of products are easy to provide but many real estate offices have assistants that will supply these for listing agents.
- Tours and property sites: Mini websites that can be used to promote the property.
- 360 Images: There are many alternative technologies for providing these. Matterport is currently the most popular.
- Property video: Property video takes a while to learn. It is much more difficult than still interior photography.
- Elevated photography: Most real estate photographers provide some form of elevated exterior shots. On the PFRE blog, it is referred to as PAP (Pole Aerial Photography).
- Twilight shots: This typically takes an additional trip at the right time of day. This is a very important service.
- Drone photography/video: This has been becoming a must-have service within the past few years.
As far as how to learn how to provide each of these services the PFRE blog has articles on all of these subjects along with reader discussion. Floorplans and Drone photography have their own post category so you can see all the articles on floorplans by just clicking the Floorplan category link on the lower left sidebar of the blog. For articles on the other subjects just use the search box at the top of the left sidebar to search for the bolded topics listed above.
Many of these services can significantly add to your income but research your market carefully before investing in the gear to provide these add-on services.