October 30th, 2016
- Mobile device (SmartPhones and Tablets) usage on the Internet is rapidly increasing.
- Desktop/laptop usage is decreasing.
- In real estate related professions SmartPhone usage is about three times higher than tablets. This was a huge surprise to me. This is probably because all SmartPhones are cellular connected and have been getting bigger in recent years.
I see this trend in PFRE blog statistics:
- In January of 2011, there were only 1558 mobile sessions on PFRE but in January of 2016, there were 17,847 mobile sessions. 11.5 times increase.
- In the last 30 days Google Analytics shows the following breakdown of PFRE sessions:
- Desktop: 65.87%
- SmartPhone: 25.86% <— This one is a surprise to me!
- Tablet: 8.27%
What is more, I would argue that real estate agents have far less reason to use desktops and laptops than real estate photographers. I see this directly while spending time with agents in the last few years. They all used SmartPhones or cellular connected tablets. Agents spend less time sitting at a desk than real estate photographers. I predict that that within a few years desktops and laptops will be in the minority. Google claims that right now only 14% of people only use a desktop device.
The key message of this trend towards mobile devices is you MUST design your websites to work well for both mobile and laptop devices! And the emphasis should be on SmartPhones.
Just a couple of weeks ago a PFRE reader proudly pointed out his newly developed real estate website to me but I sadly had to tell him that it worked on my iPhone and iPad Pro but it didn’t look good. The images were being cropped off of both sides.
Yes, and by the way, I’m working already to redesign the PFRE blog so that it works better for all you mobile device users. The PFRE blog currently works with mobile devices but it could be much better! You can test any website for mobile friendliness with Google’s mobile-friendly test. This test says PFRE is not mobile friendly so we are working to fix that!