August 9th, 2016
It just dawned on me that for years I’ve had a ten essentials list for the technical aspects of real estate photography that I promote in my Photography For Real Estate book and the free PDF on What Real Estate Agents need to Know About Photography but I’ve never summarized the business things that we always talk about here on the PFRE blog in the same way. So here is the first step towards fixing that. My first cut at 10 business essentials for real estate photographers:
- Understand your expenses so you know how much you are making. See these posts here and here.
- Low fees typically lead to more low fees. See this post.
- Good communications are key to being an effective freelancer. Be easy to contact, via phone, email or even texting. Respond quickly.
- Spend time and money keeping yourself well trained. Nowadays keeping yourself up to date with new technology is essential.
- When and how you get paid is an important consideration. See this post.
- The quality of your portfolio always decides your success. See this post.
- Marketing your services is a top priority when building your business. See this post.
- Make sure your terms of service is understood up front. See this post.
- Customer care is essential. See this post.
- This is your job not your hobby.
Of course, this isn’t an exhaustive list but there’s something about a top ten list that can help focus on the most important aspects. I’ve added links on many of these items to previous discussions we’ve had on these subjects.
I’m sure readers will have input on this top 10 list. What did I miss?