April 21st, 2016
Keri in Wichita asks for advertising advice:
I’m ready to build a new domain name for my real estate photography. I have KeriPhotography.com
But I need a new name that represents the real estate. I have wichitarealestatephotography.com reserved but not sure I like it.
- Ideally, you want to think about what the search string your potential clients will be using in google to find a real estate photographer. Yes, they will probably be using the search string “Wichita real estate photographer” or “Wichita real estate photography”. I’ve found that over the years with struggling to get top google ranking (for the PFRE blog) for the search strings “real estate photography” and “real estate photographer” it does help to have the search string in your domain name. So there are definitely Google ranking benefits to using wichitarealestatephotography.com.
- Besides having your search string in your domain name you also need to register your business with Google so your business will show up on Google map searches. This also really improves your ranking in Google searches for real estate photographers in your town. Here’s a PFRE post that has more details.
- Your domain name is very much at the center of your brand. I believe there is some marketing benefit to having what your company does in the name of your company but it’s not an overwhelming advantage. It certainly makes sense to have your name in your brand.
- How likely are you to move out of Wichita? If likely don’t have Wichita in the name.
- How likely are you to sell your business? If likely don’t have your name in your business name.