March 23rd, 2015
Wow! Big contest this month! Sixty one entries. Congratulations to Seth Parker of Huntsville, Alabama. Click on the image on the right to see a large version of Seth’s winning image. The competition was much closer this month than last. Jonas Berg of Gothenburg, Sweden came in a very close second. Seth and Jonas were almost tied until the last juror voted.
Below are the 13 winners that the judges awarded points to:
- 40 pts, #44, Seth Parker, Huntsville, Alabama
- 32 pts, #28, Jonas Berg, Gothenburg, Sweden
- 26 pts, #56, Brandon Cooper, Fort McMurray, Alberta
- 22 pts, #57, Brian Doherty, Boston, Mass
- 10 pts, #5, Trace Tague, Tucson, AZ
- 10 pts, #53, Tony Colangelo, Victoria, BC
- 4 pts, #51, Sebastian Erras, Amberg, Germany
- 3 pts, #7, Matthew Stallone, Toronto, Ontario
- 3 pts, #8, Ethan Tweedie, Big Island, Hawaii
- 3 pts, #30, Ray Xuan, Vancouver, BC
- 3 pts, #58, Kristian Walker, Paw Paw, MI
- 2 pts, #2, Luke Gibson, Santa Monica, CA
- 2 pts, #29, Dan Solomon, Redondo Beach, CA
Seth had the following comments about his winning photo:
I’m genuinely surprised! There was some really strong competition and I saw about 6 or 7 that could have easily won, with a few more that were right there with some minor tweaking. Do we know if the one entry was shot in Scandinavia? Sure would hate for Scott to have to buy all the entries a little beer!
I shot the image about a year ago, right when I feel as if I was starting to hit my stride as a photographer. There are a lot of things that I would change about the image now. The constructive criticism from many members of the Flickr group has proved to be very valuable. It’s not always sugar coated, but it has made me a better photographer.
It also goes to show other photographers that equipment isn’t everything. I shot this with a Canon T3i, a Canon 10-22, and a few Yongnuo strobes.
Yes, Scott’s prediction that #28 was shot by a Scandinavian photographer turned out to be correct so he doesn’t have to buy everyone in the contest beer… but now he thinks everyone in the contest should buy him beer. Good luck!
I just want to state that because this contest has gotten so large, it’s a lot of work to manage. Consequently, I have less and less tolerance for entrants not following the contest rules. Contest entries must follow ALL the contest rules or be rejected. Period, no exceptions. Contestants seem to have the most trouble following the first 3 rules.