March 12th, 2015
Don Giannatti over at Lighting-essentials.com has a great post about the beliefs that get in the way of being a successful photographer. Beliefs always have a strong influence on our behavior. That influence can be positive or negative. As Don says, “The things that are truly holding you back are your own beliefs. Belief that it IS one of those reasons above. Believing that it is a geography thing that keeps you from excelling, or what gear you use or how many lights you take with you is more damaging than any REAL challenge you will ever have to meet.“
Here is Don’s list:
- We must have professional level gear to be a pro.
- We have to live in a big city.
- We must have a portfolio equal to Avedon or McCurry.
- We have to have thousands of hours of experience.
- We must never work for free.
- We have a huge internet following to be considered.
- We obviously suck because the pros do it so easily.
- All we need is….
- Professional photographers are special, with special talents.
- No one is able to make it in this business anymore.
Be sure to read Don’s whole article here. Great job Don!