July 25th, 2014
News that affects real estate drone photography is happening so fast these days that it is hard to keep up with it all. I’m trying to keep these drone related posts to a minimum because I know not everyone is interested in them. As I mentioned a while back, I keep up with what’s going on in this area by following Brenden Schulman (@dronelaws, Brendon is Pirker’s defence lawyer) and Peter Sachs (@TheDroneGuy) on Twitter and retweet any of their news stories or items I see that seem to relate to real estate drone photography/video. So if you are interested in this subject you can see the all those tweets down on the right side-bar in the “Last Tweets” widget, just below my smiling face.
Here are some of the more recent happenings that may affect real estate photography:
- Peter Sachs started The Drone Pilot Association – and got 1000+ members in less the first 48 hrs from launch. This is an association that has the goal of representing commercial drone pilots like real estate photographers. Update 7/26: This morning Peter added a members only Education section to the dronepilotsassociation.com site that has a bunch of good information.
- PFRE reader Chuck Spaulding is doing a similar thing as Peter with the sUAS Small Business Consortium that he is forming.
- Police are starting to aggressively pursue “Drones,” and arresting aerial photographers in NY and Ohio.
- A NYC councilman is drafting an anti-drone local law.
- Thanks to a request from the AMA (American Model Association) the FAA has extended it’s comment period another 60 days to September 25.
- President Obama to issue Executive Order directing NTIA to develop commercial drone privacy rules.
- There is a DFDH (Don’t Fly Drones Here) interactive map out that shows where not to fly drones. It shows major airports, US military bases and US National Parks.
As I said, there’s a lot going on. Fly safely!