July 20th, 2014
What does it take to be successful at starting your own business? Besides all the usual technical photographic stuff that we usually talk about here, there are a handful of very important other things that are central to the success of starting and running your own real estate photography business.
Look around at the successful business people you know, chances are they will exhibit many or all of these traits:
- Self discipline: This is the ability to train yourself to do what you don’t want to do. Many of the things you need to do to like creating a plan and doing the items on the plan won’t be your favorite activities.
- Planning: Creating a business requires planning, establishing goals and following through to achieve the goals.
- Hard work: Many of the things you need to do may not be easy.
- Focus: Focus means sustained attention. You need to not let yourself be distracted by all the day-to-day distractions that all of our live’s have. Some people have more distractions in their life than others.
- Don’t be discouraged by failure: Charlie Rose interviewed Ruzwana Bashir (founder and CEO of peek.com) in May. Ruzwana talked about how her father (also a successful entrepreneur) would ask her every night at the dinner table, “what did you fail at today?” The point is as an entrepreneur you can’t be afraid to fail. Failure is a valuable way of learning. Most institutions train us to be failure adverse yet failures can be very valuable if used correctly.
So you typically can’t just start a real estate photography business by being creative. In the end analysis, these traits above are probably more important than being creative.