March 16th, 2014
Here’s a photo related product that real estate photographers can easily sell or just include along with a shoot. The product is “Just Listed” postcards that let neighbors near a new listing know that the property has come on the market. The point of the postcards is to get the listing agents face and name in front of the neighborhood and to show them what kind of job that agent does marketing a property. Agents that do this well and repeatedly can significantly increase the number of listings they get in a neighborhood. It’s called “farming” a neighborhood. Listing agents do better if they are recognized as the specialist for a given neighborhood.
If you have the photos of a newly listed property and you’ve done it once or twice, creating “just listed” postcards takes a few minutes, you don’t even have to leave your computer and it’s a huge benefit to the listing agent. You can either supply the client with a PDF file that they can use to order postcards themselves or you can order and have the printing company will deliver the postcards right to the agents office. Here’s how to do it:
- Use a front exterior shot of the home on the front of the postcard: You want neighbors to recognize the home that is for sale. I use Photoshop to create a postcard according to the specs of the online printer. My ebook, The Business of Real Estate Photography comes with several examples like the one above.
- Use a photo of the listing agent on the postcard: This is important. Listing agents should have name and face recognition in the neighborhood they are working in.
- Use a simple URL for photos and more information: Frankly, this is one of the prime motivations for having a tour. Very few broker supply agents with a simple URL to put on postcards and flyers. If you supply a tour and simple URL with your shoot you should also provide a rider or topper sign with that URL for the For Sale sign. Nowadays a QR code can be used instead or in addition to a short URL.
- I suggest just supplying a PDF to your client: This way the agent can do the order and you don’t have to collect the money from them for the order. Creating a PDF post card with a standard format is so easy you could easily throw this in for free for an added incentive for clients to use your services.
- If you do ordering use an online printing company: I’ve used expresscopy.com (works for anywhere in the US) for years but there are many other companies that do the same thing. Just upload the correctly formatted PDF and fill out the order.
Your listing agent customers may already be doing a diluted form of “just listed” postcards where they send out a generic postcard that isn’t customized to the particular property and that doesn’t have a photo of the listing agent and doesn’t have a simple URL to more photos and information. Being a top listing agent is about winning the competition for the home sellers business. As a photographer you can provide listing agents with photo based products that help them win the competition for the home sellers business. By photo based products I mean, Just Listed postcards, Just Sold postcards, Flyers, brochures and tours.