December 17th, 2012
Congratulations Iran! The PFRE jury has chosen Iran Watson’s as the Real Estate Photographer of the year. Iran is a Realtor/Photographer in Marietta, Georgia. This was a very difficult task to pick a winner from the fantastic field of entrants!
The voting results are as follows:
- Iran Watson – 40
- Jason Roehner – 19
- Charles Lynch – 12
- Nick De Clercq – 10
- Steve Carroll – 5
- Craig Ryder – 5
- Ethan Tweedie – 4
- Anders Carlson – 3
- Matt Waclo – 2
- Scott DuBose – 0
- Nestor Trillo – 0
Iran’s description of his image from back in April as follows:
This was a shot from a small set I did for a local site Marietta.com. The was a show home so it wasn’t hard to find a good comp, the entire home was very well decorated. The shot itself is pretty straight forward, I only used one handheld strobe, but shot several frames which I later combined in post. The strobed frames consisted of one with the light pointed directly into the room, one with the light bounced over head, and then maybe 5 or 6 more where a used a slip on speedgrid to accent the chairs, the ottoman, the bench, and so on. I made a composite of these frames and then blended that with an Exposure Fusion image made from a bracket of just the ambient light, no strobes. From there it was just fine tuning really. I tried to maintain the feel and direction of the ambient light while using the strobed frame to even out the exposures and clean up the WB.
As you can see from Iran’s description above Iran’s approach to real estate photography is very meticulous.
I think it is worth noting that Iran is both a Realtor and a real estate photographer. Iran’s description of how he split’s his time between real estate and real estate photography is as follows:
I list homes as well as do the photography thing at the same time. I was licensed in GA in 2004 and have been selling homes in the Atlanta area since. I only started my photography business a few years ago, which was almost by accident. I did a few shoots for some agents friends, they told their friends, and it pretty much took on a life of its own. So today I set aside a block of time every week to do photography and the rest of the time is spent tending real estate matters. 80% of real estate business is referrals and past clients. The other 20% is mostly from people I meet doing photography. The two compliment each other quite well actually.
I would also like to add that I really consider being chosen as PFRE photographer of the year an honor. Truth be told, PFRE and the Flickr group are the main reasons I am where I am today. Most of the techniques and methods I use originated from ideas discussed in this community. To be recognized by this group means a lot. Thank you everyone.